recent work | Paperwhites in the Presidential Suite


 On paper I have a pretty regular desk job. But, the fact that I work for (and in) a hotel adds a different element to my day-to-day. It's a little bit like being Eloise

In the month of April we acquired a new property in Portland, and I put together fifty paperwhite bulbs for our clients to go with the tag-line come grow with us. (you can see a version of the project that I bootlegged for the blog here). It turns out the flowers sprout pretty fast, so in addition to writing contracts and answering phones, I was tending a little garden everyday. My office has no windows - since those are needed for hotel rooms - and the plants started to get wiltey from lack of sunlight. Taking care of them obviously made me form an attachment and I couldn't just let my plant babies die! So, our chief of engineering let me set up a little habitat for them in the grand suite which was being renovated.

Whenever I went up to water them it cracked me up. Paperwhites sunning themselves in the Kennedy Suite, ready for room service. 

(photos) on instagram, username : SamShorey (lyrics) from Wiz Khalifa's The Thrill 

12 comments:

  1. eloise is my role model. i spent the better part of my college years trying to figure out if there was, indeed, a classy way to get her tattooed on my body. it turns out there isn't, which is why she is quoted in a far less permanent place like my facebook profile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eloise is an inspiration for any girl with a flair for the enthusiastic and theatrical! no wonder we both love her ...

      Delete
  2. come grow with us!!! i love it!!! soooo cuteeeee

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a cute project. I feel like I would love to work in a hotel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's so fun, Maria! There is a constant stream of kooky people and lots of room to be creative.

      Delete
  4. So funny! I love the way they look in the cardboard grid too... I feel like it could be a cool table display.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such an interesting location for a work place. i wouldn't even mind that there are no windows. oh, and i love that tag-line. short and simple!

    and to answer your question if the photos were taken in los angeles? no, not even close :) they were taken in st.petersburg, florida. so, all the way on other coast, where i reside. glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your projects are always so cute! Your hotel is lucky to have you... and so are the flowers! I'd kill to live like them.

    I was wondering where that quote was from as soon as I read it. It sounded so glamorous to me, and I spent the whole blog post imagining it was from a black and white movie. Marilyn Monroe lounges on a hotel bed in lingerie and speaks in that weird old movie fake accent... and then you told me it was Wiz Khalifa. And I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJ, that is so funny - and I know the exact Marilyn voice you're talking about! I don't think anyone would guess Wiz Khalifa as the source - but I love that song (the chorus is a sample of "Walking on Dream" from Empire of the Sun).

      Delete
  7. I never thought I'd be jealous of flowers...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to be Eloise too when I grow up. Especially if she gets to keep a secret indoor garden.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, Darling Reader! I read + love each and every one of them. (Anonymous commenting has been turned off due to robots)

ashore All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger