what was + what will be

Cassy + queen ann's lace
the end of Queen Anne's Lace

"Every year we have been
witness to it: how the
world descends

into a rich mash, in order that
it may resume.
And therefore
who would cry out

to the petals on the ground
to stay,
knowing as we must
how the vivacity of what was is married

to the vitality of what will be."

excerpt of Mary Oliver, Lines Written in the Days of Growing Darkness.


I've been feeling oddly close to Mary Oliver's poetry lately. I thought maybe it was just that I've been walking more, out in the natural world she writes about. I've heard the Wild Geese "harsh and exciting" and seen the tale-end of a Hurricane, like "the back of hand to everything." It turns out Mary lives in Massachusetts, so I really am closer to her world. 

I thought this poem would be apt, with the start of Daylight Savings. Here we are now in the days of growing darkness. They're made more bearable by a little of her perspective. 

(photos) on film with Pentax k1000 | Queen Ann's Lace summer fields + fall husks

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this poem. It's perfect for this slight shift in the season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful pairing of those photos and the poem. Nothing is better than film, just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a great poem!
    and the topic is something that has been swiveling back and forth in my mind lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "the vivacity of what was is married to the vitality of what will be"

    I love it- it's my first day of a new job, and that line resonates so deeply with the sadness of leaving something good for something better- and how what you leave in many ways determines and creates what comes next. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly, transitions are hard, especially when you are leaving something you loved. But, what you said is so right. One thing leading to the next. I'm glad the words resonated with you - finding the perfect line for a certain time has always been one of my favorite things in life.

      Delete
  5. Autumn and Mary Oliver's poems go so perfectly together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely, Sam. What is that book of hers you Instagrammed awhile back? I need to pick up a collection of hers - everything I've ever read I found online or found in a compilation of different poets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! It's from her new collection, "A Thousand Mornings". I've been limiting myself to just one everyday so I can really draw it out and enjoy it.

      Delete
  7. I truly am amazing how you take so much from a poem or book or quote. You always have this perfect way of interpreting a meaning from what you read. I honestly don't even know how to explain it further or in a way that makes sense. I don't know what it is, but i have a hard time seeing or creating a meaning out of much of the literature I read. I'm convinced its the way my brain works.. Science Major! it is all based on straight facts, no allowance for interpretation or deviation of thought, basically no room for creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's such a great compliment, Chrissy. I spend a lot of my time looking for that "spark" moment between something I've read and something I see. I'm glad it resonates with you!

      Delete
  8. this is so beautiful! and timely - i was JUST telling a friend how sad i was to be descending further into winter. what a lovely reminder, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, Darling Reader! I read + love each and every one of them. (Anonymous commenting has been turned off due to robots)

ashore All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger