Style Inspired : Being John Malkovich

Style Inspired : Being John Malkovich

I refuse to believe I was born in the 80's and grew up the in the 90's. With the exception of a little flannel and floral grunge, I really don't relate to any of the fashion staples of those eras and I haven't participated in the exposed zipper/big shoulder comeback. (and I definitely don't ever want to see another glittery butterfly graphic-t again.)

But, recently I watched the movie Being John Malkovich (1999) and I am seriously style inspired by Catherine Keener's character, Maxine. Her look is both contemporary for the time (lots of A line, cotton/lycra material) and classic. She dresses almost entirely in black and white, and everything is simple. simple. simple. Her palette lends a business attitude to the otherwise low-key seperates she wears, since the majority of the scenes for this movie take place in an office. Such a nice alternative to a polyester pants suit that makes me feel like I'm 17 and working at Victoria's Secret.

Work this look at work with a long sleeve t-shirt from j.crew and one of the stretch pencil skirts from American Apparel, like I did this week. And the finishing touches? a nice coat of plum red lipstick (and no bra if you're feeling brave.)

(p.s.) watch Catherine Keener in all her slender and simple sexiness in the trailer here.

3 comments:

  1. I'm obsessed with plum lipstick! love your blog. your refrigerator is surprisingly inspiring. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. the 90's are the best and i heart catherine keener.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm not quite brave enough for the bra-less look, but i admire those who are. my boobs are little so i could pull it off, but i definitely won't be giving it a try in chilly weather like today :).

    oh...and i 110% agree with your comment about heinous glittery butterfly graphic tees. i worked at aeropostale during the holidays when i was in college and it was right when they first opened and the glitter tees were their big gimmick. i came home every night COVERED in sparkles. no bueno.

    hope you're having a lovely week!

    xo
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, Darling Reader! I read + love each and every one of them. (Anonymous commenting has been turned off due to robots)

ashore All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger