I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

Intelegentsia Coffee, Silver Lake (l.a.)

When they're matching up potential college roommates the most important answer on the questionnaire isn't about how loud you like your music. It's isn't even about how tidy you are (I think everyone secretly believes that their roommate never does the effing dishes).

They want to know - are you an early bird or a night owl?

Maybe the answer is so important because everyone is a little grouchy when they are woken up; whether it's by a beer-pong game or a hairdryer. But, I think it's more than that. It says a lot about a person - about what they value, and how they work. 

Night owls are passionate and adventurous. Their best hours are split between having a beer and being bent over a mood-board. Most of the artistic people I've interned with have been late-nighters. They thrive on that moment when all that's they have seen in a day comes together and - pop - becomes something new. 

I admire that. I envy it. I've even experienced the flash of inspiration that the quiet darkness can coax out.

But I am, unwaveringly, a morning person. 
I can't help but wonder: what does it say about someone when they are chipper at the crack of dawn?

 I guess, it says that I'm hopeful. Mornings are a new beginning, full of potential. 
Perhaps this will be the day where I do it all right. Where I pay my bills on time - no, early! - and I say the witty thing that makes everyone laugh at my staff meeting. Where I cook an unburned dinner for my boyfriend and listen to my voice mail.

Of course, it never happens like that. And by the end of the day, I can't ignore of all those little things that actually feel like big things. They stack so high that all I can do is call it quits, and be thankful that, even on the worst days, my blunders don't follow me into tomorrow. And inspiration? That is out of the question.

It's only in the morning that I am able to sit down infront of a blank sheet of paper. Because writing takes the confidence I only have before I'm reminded that I'm really just a ding-bat who mailed a letter, that was already late, without a stamp.

It's less than healthy - this perfect standard. I know.

But I think I'll always be a morning person; even when the blessed day comes that I finally, like my dad suggests, stop letting things get to me.

The morning is full of simple joys like watching cream disappear into coffee and phone calls to friends who are far away. For now, they are what fortify me against the day's inevitable failures. That ... and knowing I can always begin again tomorrow.

are you up all night? or do you thrive when it's light?

(1) on film with my pentax k1000 at Intelligentsia Coffee in Silverlake, Los Angeles.I don't know that boy in the picture. (title allusion) Bright Eye's album title. (p.s.) I pulled the word 'blunders' from this quote from Emerson | On Tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. I literally just answered that very question (Which describes you more: early bird or night owl?) for my "Student Profile" for Scripps College Academy, a pre-college summer program for high school students. I answered 'early bird.' Somehow I wake up at 5 o'clock even on the weekends! xD But for me, early mornings are a personal time of complete peace. Like Marilyn Monroe said, "I restore myself when I'm alone." I love my friends and family, but early mornings are a time for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pema The mornings were my special quiet time too. I loved the way they were free of the distractions and noise that roommates bring (though I miss that sometimes now!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, Darling Reader! I read + love each and every one of them. (Anonymous commenting has been turned off due to robots)

ashore All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger