Grandparents (Mission Accomplished.)


Usually when I set a goal for myself I break the cardinal rule of goal setting : make it something measurable. I'll say something like "This month I'm going to relax more". How do you even measure that? Here's me making a chart and putting up a nice cloud sticker every time I do something relaxing. Now here's me freaking out because I don't have enough clouds on the chart and taking a luke-warm bubble bath, even though we're out of hot water, because I need that sticker, I need to relax, god dammit

So, last year when New Years Resolution season came I decided to avoid the usual fiasco. I picked something real. I made it my resolution to visit all my grandparents in one year. I've seen a Grammy, a Mydie, and - as of October - a Grandad.    

 It sounds silly, but I've always felt a little left out because my sister looks just like my mom (how do you really compete with someone that's not only beautiful but also a reincarnation of your dead mother. c'mon).  Seeing the picture below was a special part of my last trip to Montana. As I get older I start to look more like my grandad, Harry. It was Darwin-on-the-Galapagos woah moment. It felt good. No cloud sticker necessary. 

[ (1 and 2) with Mintola srt201 on fuji superia 400iso.
(p.s) another Darwin-woah moment on my trip to Montana]

12 comments:

  1. You all totally look alike. Love it!! =)

    And visiting all your grandparents is truly a great resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Grandad look way similar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this photo! I miss my grandparents :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are so fortunate to have had the chance to meet them. i only met one for about 3 minutes!
    and you were wise to choose to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these pictures are beautiful. they are so natural, as it is. i can see the resemblances in even the smile. i guess it is exactly that; a darwin-woah moment :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. no cloud sticker necessary! i love that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That first picture is wonderful - so full of understated emotion. It feels like the resolution or beginning of a short story - yearning, thoughtful embedded in the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monica : I feel so lucky. It was one of the reasons I made it my goal this year - knowing that the opportunity wont be around forever.

    schietree : wow, what a wonderful compliment. My grandfather is a thoughtful, quiet man. I'm glad his "essence" shows through.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww what a lovely idea. I must take a leaf out of your book xx

    http://englishroseuk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is lovely. it's always such an honor to resemble a family member.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, Darling Reader! I read + love each and every one of them. (Anonymous commenting has been turned off due to robots)

ashore All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger