been there | "Lake" Michigan

shore lake michicigan if I could bottle up the sea breezeChicago beach blue
I guess you get your mind made up about what a city will be like. I packed gloves to go to Chicago. Instead I found this. Maybe sitting on a beach in a landlocked state didn't quite make sense to me.

Staring at the water, the opposite shore wasn't visible. Waves came in just like the ocean. We need a different word for places like this. Something larger and more expansive than "lake". 

Hence forth, this place will be known as "The Great Inland Freshwater Sea Michigan". 
ya, that's more like it.

(photos) on film with Pentax k1000. one more of Lake Michigan on Flickr

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE this so much, Sam. I spent a summer at the Great Lakes and have spent some time there as a kid. It really is similar to the ocean. I always tell people this. That quote is so great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that was the most magical summer, Chelsea. Being there made me feel like I was on school break again - I just wanted to ride my bike all day and listen to the sprinklers. The Midwest is built for summertime.

      Delete
  2. As a little girl living in Milwaukee, I thought the lake was actually an ocean for a long time and didn't believe all the people who told me otherwise...so I can definitely relate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm a California transplant out in Chicago and I call it "the beach." People from home make fun of me for it, but you're right -- "Lake" just doesn't do it justice. I'm so glad you liked it out here :)

    xo Alessia
    byalessia.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same way when I saw Lake Nicaragua. It looked like ocean, but the water didn't sting my eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Chicago, and I definitely can get behind The Great Inland Freshwater Sea Michigan. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, Darling Reader! I read + love each and every one of them. (Anonymous commenting has been turned off due to robots)

ashore All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger